WHAT IS IT?
The Annual Quran Competition is an educational competition which aims to enhance today’s generation by strengthening their connection to the Holy Quran.
The month of Ramadan is the holy month that God blesses with a magnificent hospitality, immeasurable rewards, and provides the greatest opportunity and environment for gaining better knowledge and spirituality. It is also the most blessed month for reciting the Quran.
In addition to the limitless blessings of this sacred month, competition participants will have the chance to win one of 3 Grand Prizes.
1st Place – A spiritual journey to visit the holy sites in Iraq (Full package + 100% airfare)
2nd Place – A spiritual journey to visit the holy sites in Iraq (Full package + 50% airfare)
After registering, participants will be required to record and submit a predetermined selection of verses from the Holy Quran.
The recitation portion of this year’s competition will be based on pronunciation guidelines according to “Tajwid: A Guide to Qur’anic Recitation“. Participants are encouraged to begin studying this informative text as soon as possible.
Additionally, please note that this competition will focus on the tarteel method with emphasis on correct pronunciation, such as in the following example.
IMPORTANT DATES TO NOTE FOR THIS YEAR’S COMPETITIONMay 20th, 2018: Registration Closes at 11:59 pm (EST) 15th of the Month of Ramadan (pending moon sighting): Submission Deadline at 11:59 pm (EST) 27th of the Month of Ramadan: Winners Announced
COMPETITION ELIGIBILITY & OFFICIAL RULES:
1. For entrants of 12 to 26 years of age only.
2. Entrants must be either United States or Canadian passport holders only.
1. Sisters will be judged by a panel of female expert judges from Dar al-Quran Institute of the Administration of the Shrine of Imam Hussain (p).
2. Brothers will be judged by a panel of male expert judges from Dar al-Quran Institute of the Administration of the Shrine of Imam Hussain (p).
3. Contestants will be judged on the Tarteel method of Quran recitation in applying the rules of Tajwid according to the Hafs version of the reading of Asim, which is the most popular of the readings of the Holy Quran throughout the Muslim world.
4. Contestants will submit a short video showing their recitation of the assigned sections of the Quran (delivered when the submission period opens). Judging will be decided by the criteria set forth by the Dar al-Quran Institute of the Administration of the Shrine of Imam Hussain (p).
5. A suggested $20.00 donation is required to participate and will be considered as the “act of entry”; all participants must present a copy of their donation receipt, wherever requested to do so, to qualify. All donation proceeds will be allocated toward My Orphans causes.
6. Winners of the competition must be accompanied by a guardian if under the age of 18 (Guardian airfare is not covered). Adult (age 18 and older) winners must travel alone.
7. Winners must abide by the itinerary set forth by the competition organizers and will not be permitted to leave the group for any reason. Participants who do leave the group will have their prize revoked and will be held liable to reimburse all trip expenses.
8. By entering this competition, all participants agree to abide by the rules mentioned above and will submit requests made by I.M.A.M. in a timely manner, or risk forfeiting their participation. Participants and winners will defer to I.M.A.M.’s final authority in the unlikely event of any competition-related conflict, or for all matters not explicitly outlined above.